Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
Goldberg 2.3: free QuickTime viewer/editor
Goldberg 2.3 is a QuickTime-based image viewer and editor that includes support for applying QuickTime and other effects. The new version adds more resampling algorithms to the Resize command (Nearest Neighbor, Bi-Linear, Bicubic Spline, Bicubic B-Spline and QuickTime 6 - Bicubic enhanced), offers JPEG 2000 support with QuickTime 6 (Mac OS X only), and makes other minor improvements. Goldberg is free for Mac OS X and Mac OS 8/9. [Classic, OSX]
Apple releases iSync public beta
Apple has released the beta version of iSync, its application for synchronizing address books, Bluetooth-enabled cell phones, calendars, PDAs, and the iPod. The free application is available exclusively for Mac OS 10.2.1, and expires on February 28th, 2003.
Seek 2.0 searches 7 engines from desktop
Macintosh software company Wingnut Development has updated Seek 2.0, its freeware web search utility for Mac OS X that brings the search results from one of seven different search engines to your desktop. Version 2.0 adds the ability to save your favorite search engine/category combo to be set automatically at launch among other improvements.
CalcPad X 1.0 evaluates math expressions
John McGruer has posted a "cool little math utilty" CalcPad X 1.0, as noted by a MacNN reader. The utility is described as a "word processor" and evaluator for mathematical expressions and features many scientific and trig functions, custom naming of variables, paper tape for history logging, and many number formatting options.
IPNetTunerX 1.1 optimizes network connections
Sustainable Softwork's IPNetTunerX 1.1 offers the ability to optimize your network performance under Mac OS X by tuning any of 20 different TCP/IP parameters, including the TCP Window Size, Time Out intervals, Maximum Segment Size, and MTU. Version 1.1 of the $30 utility adds parameters for IP firewall logging.
Apple KnowledgeBase has iSync info
Apple's Knowledge Base has the iSync beta notes available as well as dozens of other articles on the beta software, including the need to use a .Mac account to sync data between two Macs, although "it is possible to pair two Macintosh computers over Bluetooth and share files."
For all of the high-priced, over-engineered Bluetooth speakers in the electronics market, there is still room for mass-market solution ...VisionTek 128GB USB Pocket SSD
USB flash drives dealt the death blow to both the floppy and Zip drives. While still faster than either of the old removable media, sp ...Kodak PixPro SL10 Smart Lens Camera
Smartphone imagery still widely varies. Large Megapixel counts don't make for a good image, and the optics in some devices are lackin ...
10 Most Discussed
- Breaking: US reverses, to say North Korea behind Sony hack tomorrow - 17 replies
- DiskWarrior 5 debuts, offers full 64-bit support, flash drive option - 9 replies
- Sony ignored security evaluation before GOP hack, more data coming - 8 replies
- German Chancellor speaks out against net neutrality, wants fast lanes - 8 replies
- Jackson meets with Cook on diversity in the tech industry - 8 replies
- Apple's Cook, Williams 'deeply offended' by BBC supply chain expose - 7 replies
- Review: Apple iMac with 5K Retina display - 7 replies
- FCC overrules carriers, defines 'broadband' as 10Mbps minimum - 7 replies
- Apple, Amazon refuse to disclose federal diversity data - 6 replies
- Tim Cook selected as finalist for 2014 Time Person of the Year - 6 replies