Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
Goldberg 2.3: free QuickTime viewer/editor
Goldberg 2.3 is a QuickTime-based image viewer and editor that includes support for applying QuickTime and other effects. The new version adds more resampling algorithms to the Resize command (Nearest Neighbor, Bi-Linear, Bicubic Spline, Bicubic B-Spline and QuickTime 6 - Bicubic enhanced), offers JPEG 2000 support with QuickTime 6 (Mac OS X only), and makes other minor improvements. Goldberg is free for Mac OS X and Mac OS 8/9. [Classic, OSX]
Apple releases iSync public beta
Apple has released the beta version of iSync, its application for synchronizing address books, Bluetooth-enabled cell phones, calendars, PDAs, and the iPod. The free application is available exclusively for Mac OS 10.2.1, and expires on February 28th, 2003.
Seek 2.0 searches 7 engines from desktop
Macintosh software company Wingnut Development has updated Seek 2.0, its freeware web search utility for Mac OS X that brings the search results from one of seven different search engines to your desktop. Version 2.0 adds the ability to save your favorite search engine/category combo to be set automatically at launch among other improvements.
CalcPad X 1.0 evaluates math expressions
John McGruer has posted a "cool little math utilty" CalcPad X 1.0, as noted by a MacNN reader. The utility is described as a "word processor" and evaluator for mathematical expressions and features many scientific and trig functions, custom naming of variables, paper tape for history logging, and many number formatting options.
IPNetTunerX 1.1 optimizes network connections
Sustainable Softwork's IPNetTunerX 1.1 offers the ability to optimize your network performance under Mac OS X by tuning any of 20 different TCP/IP parameters, including the TCP Window Size, Time Out intervals, Maximum Segment Size, and MTU. Version 1.1 of the $30 utility adds parameters for IP firewall logging.
Apple KnowledgeBase has iSync info
Apple's Knowledge Base has the iSync beta notes available as well as dozens of other articles on the beta software, including the need to use a .Mac account to sync data between two Macs, although "it is possible to pair two Macintosh computers over Bluetooth and share files."
The search for a good messenger bag that doubles as a laptop bag is something many travelers find themselves facing at least once. Bet ...PenClic Bluetooth mouse
Windows 8 aside, computer users have been trained that a mouse is the proper way to navigate through the desktop for many years now. T ...Booqpad for iPad Air
Before we get rolling, I'll confess: I've never understood the purpose of cases like the Booqpad. If you've got a tablet, surely p ...
10 Most Discussed
- Mayer: Yahoo should be Apple's default search engine - 19 replies
- Samsung seized on death of Steve Jobs to launch anti-Apple ads - 15 replies
- Rumor: Apple considering entry into high-definition music? [u] - 9 replies
- Apple announces historic 7:1 stock split, increases buyback program - 8 replies
- Campaign calls for ouster of Condoleezza Rice from Dropbox board - 8 replies
- Revealed: Samsung misled investors, pundits with shipments vs. sales - 8 replies
- NSA denies using Heartbleed security flaw in intelligence gathering - 7 replies
- Cook: iPad sales actually better than expected, figures are misleading - 7 replies
- Apple readies iOS 7.1.1, accelerates iOS 8 and OS X 10.10 testing - 6 replies
- Tim Cook backs Employee Non-Discrimination Act on Twitter - 6 replies