Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
Reader: discrepancy by troubleshooting apps
Eric Woehler writes about an interesting discrepancy reported by various troubleshooting applications:
"Curious that the number of files reported on my mac varies with each application. I have a dual USB iBook, 256 MB, 10Gb, running OS 9.2.1 & OS X (10.0.4 at present). The Finder tells me there are 36340 files on my drive, File Buddy 6 says 30372, Norton Speed Disk 30195, Alsoft's Disk Warrior 72 734 (!) and Tattle Tech sees 30349 files. Would love to have someone explain just why these discrepancies in file counts exist and why the discrepancies are so large!"
Valley Fair Apple Store open, \"very busy\"
Confirming our report from last week, Scott Arthur notes that the Valley Fair Apple Store location (San Jose, CA) is "open even though the website says coming soon. I'm a cameraman for a local TV station, Ch.7, and I went to shoot Christmas shopping discovering the store open and very busy."
MicroCenter iMac bundle special offer
The Dallas Micro Center is offering a Holiday iMac Bundle for $1350 including tax, which includes an Indigo iMac G3 500 W/ CD-RW, Canon S450, 4-year Service Plan and "several other accessories." (This is a special Dallas-store only offer, however, mail/phone orders are being accepted.)
Demo of Digital Universe astronomy software
Readers posts Apple Store opening photos
textSOAP 3.1.2: shareware utility for text
unmarked software has posted textSOAP v3.1.2, an update to its text utility, which fixes problems under OS X and Mac OS 9. Upgrades to v3.0 are $10.
CDFinder 3.5: disk catalog tool updated
Norbert Doerner has released CDFinder 3.5, an update to his $25 shareware disk cataloging tool. Version 3.5 offers better support for OS X 10.1, long file names, iPod's hidden music folder, improved searches, and support for MP3 file info. [Classic, Carbon]
Connect with Us
Follow us on Facebook
Perhaps you've already seen our review of the Dotti LED display from Witti Design. Meet Notti, Dotti's "sibling". Notti is a softb ...Seagate Personal Cloud (2-Bay)
When it comes to backing up files, many users are now looking to the myriad of cloud storage solutions available. There is no doubt th ...Leitz Icon Label Printer
When you say the words "label printer" to people, they either just really don't care, or they get incredibly excited. This is one o ...
10 Most Discussed
- Jony Ive promoted to Chief Design Officer at Apple - 10 replies
- Oculus outlines Rift PC requirements, stops OS X, Linux development - 7 replies
- Apple rolls out Force Touch 15-inch MacBook Pro, new Retina iMac - 5 replies
- Pointers: Sign Your PDFs in Preview - 5 replies
- Pointers: Mastering the OS X Dock - 5 replies
- Pointers: Make 'Hey Siri' work on Apple Watch - 5 replies
- Review: Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge - 4 replies
- Editorial: FCC, lawsuits, Net Neutrality, and The Bill of Rights - 4 replies
- Google reveals it rejects majority of 'Right to be Forgotten' requests - 4 replies
- Briefly: Apple intervenes in Shack sale; SF churches take Apple Pay - 4 replies