Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
Reader: discrepancy by troubleshooting apps
Eric Woehler writes about an interesting discrepancy reported by various troubleshooting applications:
"Curious that the number of files reported on my mac varies with each application. I have a dual USB iBook, 256 MB, 10Gb, running OS 9.2.1 & OS X (10.0.4 at present). The Finder tells me there are 36340 files on my drive, File Buddy 6 says 30372, Norton Speed Disk 30195, Alsoft's Disk Warrior 72 734 (!) and Tattle Tech sees 30349 files. Would love to have someone explain just why these discrepancies in file counts exist and why the discrepancies are so large!"
Valley Fair Apple Store open, \"very busy\"
Confirming our report from last week, Scott Arthur notes that the Valley Fair Apple Store location (San Jose, CA) is "open even though the website says coming soon. I'm a cameraman for a local TV station, Ch.7, and I went to shoot Christmas shopping discovering the store open and very busy."
MicroCenter iMac bundle special offer
The Dallas Micro Center is offering a Holiday iMac Bundle for $1350 including tax, which includes an Indigo iMac G3 500 W/ CD-RW, Canon S450, 4-year Service Plan and "several other accessories." (This is a special Dallas-store only offer, however, mail/phone orders are being accepted.)
Demo of Digital Universe astronomy software
Readers posts Apple Store opening photos
textSOAP 3.1.2: shareware utility for text
unmarked software has posted textSOAP v3.1.2, an update to its text utility, which fixes problems under OS X and Mac OS 9. Upgrades to v3.0 are $10.
CDFinder 3.5: disk catalog tool updated
Norbert Doerner has released CDFinder 3.5, an update to his $25 shareware disk cataloging tool. Version 3.5 offers better support for OS X 10.1, long file names, iPod's hidden music folder, improved searches, and support for MP3 file info. [Classic, Carbon]
Have you ever tried to put in a screen protector that relies on static to cling to the screen? How many bubbles and wrinkles does it h ...OmniPlan (OS X, iOS)
We reviewed the Omni Group's most famous Mac software, a To Do app called OmniFocus, back in June 2014, and we were impressed. Some o ...Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 3500 projector
Trying to find the perfect projector for a home theater can be tricky, as there are bountiful options on the market from a large numbe ...
10 Most Discussed
- FCC approves net neutrality, Title II proposal in 3-2 vote - 31 replies
- Opponents, supporters of FCC Net Neutrality, Title II vote speak out - 14 replies
- Apple on the hook for $533M lawsuit payout over in-app purchase tech - 12 replies
- First US magazine appearance of Apple Watch debuts - 11 replies
- New Jersey man hospitalized by exploded iPhone 5c battery - 10 replies
- Samsung Pay electronic payment system deployed in Galaxy S6, S6 edge - 8 replies
- Editorial: iCar or Apple moonshot? - 8 replies
- Apple launches video repair program for 2011-2013 MacBook Pros - 8 replies
- Hands On: Records 1.0 (OS X) - 8 replies
- Apple reportedly launching wide public beta of iOS 8.3 in May - 7 replies