Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
Tech: Anti-Piracy cracked, iSCSI, Excite@Home
Afternoon tech news: A hacker has begun anonymously distributing a crack for Microsoft's anti-piracy technology which is intended to limit audio/video playback; iSCSI is the name of a new storage standard being backed by IBM and Cisco; Bondholders of the now defunct Excite@Home are opposing the sale of broadband assets to AT&T for $307 million.
New FireWire SDK for OS X 10.1 chips
Apple has posted new FireWire SDK for Mac OS X, updated for 10.1 with latest sources and more sample code. This SDK includes a test package of updates for certain bugs in 10.1: "We may release this update to customers very soon, so we would welcome any feedback about new problems caused by this update (if any)."
Apple releases two security updates for OS X
Finlay Dobbie notes that Apple has released 2 security updates for OS X, one for IE, and the other one seemingly to tackle the major security hole that enabled any user to gain root access via the GUI (reported a few days ago). IUE 5.1 Security Update installs IE 5.1.3 and "prevents automatic execution of downloaded files." Apple's Internet Security 10-19 update provides "increased security for application access privileges."
Macromedia sues Adobe over Photoshop
Macromedia is claiming it owns the patent to Adobe Photoshop, according to a suit filed in federal court Friday, alleging that the technology behind Photoshop and GoLive programs was patented by Macromedia in 1998.
OS X: IE security patch, root-access bug fix
osx.macnn.com has news of two new security updates by Apple which address a vulnerability in Internet Explorer and fix the root-access security exploit detailed here a few days ago. It also reports on a new FireWire SDK for OS X 10.1 and Oxford 911 chipsets. [updated]
Connect with Us
Follow us on Facebook
Despite being very familiar with Blue Microphones' lower-end products -- we've long recommended the company's Snowball line of mics ...ZTE Spro 2 Smart Projector
Home theaters are becoming more and more accessible these days, but maybe you've been a bit wary about buying a home projector. And h ...MSI Geforce GTX 970 100ME
When Nvidia announced a new line of video cards in September 2014, many people thought things would continue to be business as usual i ...
10 Most Discussed
- Bad Apples: the worst Mac products ever - 42 replies
- MacNN Staffers: What made the Mac the choice for you? - 16 replies
- Swatch CEO outlines smartwatch plans, calls Apple Watch 'toy' - 14 replies
- T-Mobile cracking down on extreme bandwidth users of its LTE network - 10 replies
- Google advises developers on how to weaken iOS 9 app security - 10 replies
- Continued iTunes library testing: all is still not well, but improving - 9 replies
- Hands On: AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning to USB Cable - 9 replies
- Rumor Roundup: high resolution iPad in ad analytics, possible stylus - 8 replies
- Survey: six weeks on, Apple Music shows good news, bad news [U] - 7 replies
- Hands On: Tile Bluetooth Object Tracker - 6 replies