Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
Tech: Anti-Piracy cracked, iSCSI, Excite@Home
Afternoon tech news: A hacker has begun anonymously distributing a crack for Microsoft's anti-piracy technology which is intended to limit audio/video playback; iSCSI is the name of a new storage standard being backed by IBM and Cisco; Bondholders of the now defunct Excite@Home are opposing the sale of broadband assets to AT&T for $307 million.
New FireWire SDK for OS X 10.1 chips
Apple has posted new FireWire SDK for Mac OS X, updated for 10.1 with latest sources and more sample code. This SDK includes a test package of updates for certain bugs in 10.1: "We may release this update to customers very soon, so we would welcome any feedback about new problems caused by this update (if any)."
Apple releases two security updates for OS X
Finlay Dobbie notes that Apple has released 2 security updates for OS X, one for IE, and the other one seemingly to tackle the major security hole that enabled any user to gain root access via the GUI (reported a few days ago). IUE 5.1 Security Update installs IE 5.1.3 and "prevents automatic execution of downloaded files." Apple's Internet Security 10-19 update provides "increased security for application access privileges."
Macromedia sues Adobe over Photoshop
Macromedia is claiming it owns the patent to Adobe Photoshop, according to a suit filed in federal court Friday, alleging that the technology behind Photoshop and GoLive programs was patented by Macromedia in 1998.
OS X: IE security patch, root-access bug fix
osx.macnn.com has news of two new security updates by Apple which address a vulnerability in Internet Explorer and fix the root-access security exploit detailed here a few days ago. It also reports on a new FireWire SDK for OS X 10.1 and Oxford 911 chipsets. [updated]
Connect with Us
Follow us on Facebook
Ultimate Ears (now owned by Logitech) has found great success in the marketplace with its "Boom" series of Bluetooth speakers, a mod ...Kinivo URBN Premium Bluetooth Headphones
We love music, and we're willing to bet that you do, too. If you're like us, you probably spend a good portion of your time wearing ...Jamstik+ MIDI Controller
For a long time the MIDI world has been dominated by keyboard-inspired controllers. Times are changing however, and we are slowly star ...
10 Most Discussed
- Opinion: Should Apple release a desktop computer that runs iOS? - 63 replies
- Opinion: Things about the iPad Pro that are evading people - 25 replies
- Editorial: Five reasons to move to Windows - 23 replies
- Teardown of Apple Pencil reveals it is utterly unrepairable by users - 17 replies
- Cook insists converged iPad, Mac product not coming soon - 15 replies
- Quicken 2016 for Mac arrives in tandem with Windows version - 9 replies
- Analysis: A tale of two companies - 9 replies
- MacNN: Five reasons to switch to Mac - 8 replies
- Gartner: Apple rises, Samsung drops in worldwide phone share - 6 replies
- Pointers: Join a Mac/iOS User Group! - 6 replies