Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
Tech: Anti-Piracy cracked, iSCSI, Excite@Home
Afternoon tech news: A hacker has begun anonymously distributing a crack for Microsoft's anti-piracy technology which is intended to limit audio/video playback; iSCSI is the name of a new storage standard being backed by IBM and Cisco; Bondholders of the now defunct Excite@Home are opposing the sale of broadband assets to AT&T for $307 million.
New FireWire SDK for OS X 10.1 chips
Apple has posted new FireWire SDK for Mac OS X, updated for 10.1 with latest sources and more sample code. This SDK includes a test package of updates for certain bugs in 10.1: "We may release this update to customers very soon, so we would welcome any feedback about new problems caused by this update (if any)."
Apple releases two security updates for OS X
Finlay Dobbie notes that Apple has released 2 security updates for OS X, one for IE, and the other one seemingly to tackle the major security hole that enabled any user to gain root access via the GUI (reported a few days ago). IUE 5.1 Security Update installs IE 5.1.3 and "prevents automatic execution of downloaded files." Apple's Internet Security 10-19 update provides "increased security for application access privileges."
Macromedia sues Adobe over Photoshop
Macromedia is claiming it owns the patent to Adobe Photoshop, according to a suit filed in federal court Friday, alleging that the technology behind Photoshop and GoLive programs was patented by Macromedia in 1998.
OS X: IE security patch, root-access bug fix
osx.macnn.com has news of two new security updates by Apple which address a vulnerability in Internet Explorer and fix the root-access security exploit detailed here a few days ago. It also reports on a new FireWire SDK for OS X 10.1 and Oxford 911 chipsets. [updated]
It is an exciting time for consumer technology, with gadgets and devices that once used to the stuff of dreams now coming to fruition. ...JBL Synchros Reflect in-ear headphones
All headphones are not created equally, especially when it comes to use during vigorous activities or workouts. Over-the-ear headphone ...Bracketron Power Flex external battery
When we're traveling or just generally out and about, we've taken to bringing a tablet and Bluetooth keyboard with us, rather than a ...
10 Most Discussed
- The Feature Thief: Apple taketh away, sometimes giveth back - 25 replies
- First Look: All-new 12-inch Apple MacBook - 18 replies
- Backup Utility Smackdown (OS X) - 17 replies
- The Feature Thief, part one: Pages - 14 replies
- Retina 12-inch MacBook teardowns reveal low repairability - 9 replies
- Google cuts YouTube support for older Apple TV, Google TV, iOS devices - 9 replies
- Researcher: OS X 'Rootpipe' attack fix not reliable, attacks possible - 8 replies
- Living With and Without: Time Machine - 7 replies
- New Apple Watch bands revealed by Ive, Newson at Milan showcase - 7 replies
- Hands On: Sue Doku 2.0.0 (iOS) - 6 replies