Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
Strata 3Dpro 3.5 modeling package ships
Strata is now shipping Strata 3Dpro 3.5, its $900 modeling package that includes polygons, mesh, bezier, quadratics, Booleans, Skinning, and the ability to import models from any number of sources (and other 3D modeling packages). Academic versions are $560, while updates from v3.0 are $35. (New features are not listed).
Apple posts Glendale Grand Opening Video
Apple has posted a QuickTime video of the grand opening of its retail store in Glendale, CA.
OpenFirmware protection bypassed
Following our note on OpenFirmware security advisory, sources say that the "workaround" was implemented by design: "The OpenFirmware work around with password protection was done on purpose. We have been telling a lot of our customers that:
- The point of the update was to provide admins a way to prevent unauthorized restarts into OS 9 (or another alternate kernel), thereby bypassing some of OS X's security features.
- We figured that if you could gain physical access to the inside of the box, then you were probably authorized to reset the password. There is also an 'internals lock' on the back of G3's, and G4's that can prevent people from gaining access to the inside of the box." [updated]
MetaMorphX: new OS X theme tool
Pearl Jam uses Final Cut Pro
Final Cut Pro was used for most of the editing and effects for Pearl Jam's Touring Band 2000 DVD video: "We taught ourselves basically the whole procedure. Steve, who did most of the editing, started out as our carpenter. When we decided we wanted to put this out all together in a DVD format, he already had a working knowledge of Final Cut Pro, which was the software that we used. It was really just a matter of trial and error and using the tutorials."
WeatherCenter 1.0: shareware weather app
WeatherCenter 1.0 is a final release of the utility that allows you to monitor the current weather conditions; the $10 shareware also has a built-in forecast center for checking on upcoming weather conditions.
Connect with Us
Follow us on Facebook
Ultimate Ears (now owned by Logitech) has found great success in the marketplace with its "Boom" series of Bluetooth speakers, a mod ...Kinivo URBN Premium Bluetooth Headphones
We love music, and we're willing to bet that you do, too. If you're like us, you probably spend a good portion of your time wearing ...Jamstik+ MIDI Controller
For a long time the MIDI world has been dominated by keyboard-inspired controllers. Times are changing however, and we are slowly star ...
10 Most Discussed
- Opinion: Things about the iPad Pro that are evading people - 25 replies
- Editorial: Five reasons to move to Windows - 22 replies
- Teardown of Apple Pencil reveals it is utterly unrepairable by users - 17 replies
- Cook insists converged iPad, Mac product not coming soon - 15 replies
- F.lux developers pull sideloaded app following Apple's complaint - 9 replies
- Quicken 2016 for Mac arrives in tandem with Windows version - 9 replies
- Analysis: A tale of two companies - 9 replies
- MacNN: Five reasons to switch to Mac - 8 replies
- First Look: Apple iPad Pro - 7 replies
- Tim Cook addresses retail, commences 'inclusion training' company-wide - 7 replies