Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
Strata 3Dpro 3.5 modeling package ships
Strata is now shipping Strata 3Dpro 3.5, its $900 modeling package that includes polygons, mesh, bezier, quadratics, Booleans, Skinning, and the ability to import models from any number of sources (and other 3D modeling packages). Academic versions are $560, while updates from v3.0 are $35. (New features are not listed).
Apple posts Glendale Grand Opening Video
Apple has posted a QuickTime video of the grand opening of its retail store in Glendale, CA.
OpenFirmware protection bypassed
Following our note on OpenFirmware security advisory, sources say that the "workaround" was implemented by design: "The OpenFirmware work around with password protection was done on purpose. We have been telling a lot of our customers that:
- The point of the update was to provide admins a way to prevent unauthorized restarts into OS 9 (or another alternate kernel), thereby bypassing some of OS X's security features.
- We figured that if you could gain physical access to the inside of the box, then you were probably authorized to reset the password. There is also an 'internals lock' on the back of G3's, and G4's that can prevent people from gaining access to the inside of the box." [updated]
MetaMorphX: new OS X theme tool
Pearl Jam uses Final Cut Pro
Final Cut Pro was used for most of the editing and effects for Pearl Jam's Touring Band 2000 DVD video: "We taught ourselves basically the whole procedure. Steve, who did most of the editing, started out as our carpenter. When we decided we wanted to put this out all together in a DVD format, he already had a working knowledge of Final Cut Pro, which was the software that we used. It was really just a matter of trial and error and using the tutorials."
WeatherCenter 1.0: shareware weather app
WeatherCenter 1.0 is a final release of the utility that allows you to monitor the current weather conditions; the $10 shareware also has a built-in forecast center for checking on upcoming weather conditions.
Connect with Us
Follow us on Facebook
Despite being very familiar with Blue Microphones' lower-end products -- we've long recommended the company's Snowball line of mics ...ZTE Spro 2 Smart Projector
Home theaters are becoming more and more accessible these days, but maybe you've been a bit wary about buying a home projector. And h ...MSI Geforce GTX 970 100ME
When Nvidia announced a new line of video cards in September 2014, many people thought things would continue to be business as usual i ...
10 Most Discussed
- Bad Apples: the worst Mac products ever - 42 replies
- MacNN Staffers: What made the Mac the choice for you? - 16 replies
- Swatch CEO outlines smartwatch plans, calls Apple Watch 'toy' - 14 replies
- T-Mobile cracking down on extreme bandwidth users of its LTE network - 10 replies
- Google advises developers on how to weaken iOS 9 app security - 10 replies
- Hands On: AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning to USB Cable - 9 replies
- Continued iTunes library testing: all is still not well, but improving - 9 replies
- Rumor Roundup: high resolution iPad in ad analytics, possible stylus - 8 replies
- Survey: six weeks on, Apple Music shows good news, bad news [U] - 7 replies
- Pono struggling to expand due to lack of resources, no new CEO - 6 replies