Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
PDF explains Mac OS X kernel at high level
Joel Reed notes an excellent Kernel Environment PDF provided by Apple that provides "fundamental high-level information about the Mac OS X core operating-system architecture," concentrating on "those areas where Mac OS X system architecture differs from other, similar operating systems."
Utility for checking DIMMs for Apple spec
Glenn Anderson has released DIMMCheck 1.04, which checks for non-Apple spec RAM, helping users identify which types of RAM will be affected (and not recognized) after Apple's recent firmware updates. One reader reports that the author is circulating a (yet) unpublicized fix for firmware update as well.
FontShowcase 3.1 adds font families feature
FontShowcase 3.1 is a new version of the font viewing software from Nexus.net, adding a font families feature, filtering options for viewing, and a "favorites" features.
Kerbango to close doors
Several readers note that 3Com has announced plans to shut down Kerbango, its Internet radio/MP3 streaming service. Both iTunes and SoundJam rely on Kerbango for their respective radio features; its unknown what will happen to these features once Kerbango closes its doors.
IconCleaner comes to OS X
IconCleaner 1.0, now available for OS X, is a utility for removing all custom icons of files and applications within a specified folder.
The Free Memory Show receives minor update
The Free Memory Show 2.2 is a new version of the utility for displaying how much RAM is available to your system. The utility can also notify when RAM drops below a specified level, and can also quit application to help defrayment RAM.
Connect with Us
Follow us on Facebook
Despite being very familiar with Blue Microphones' lower-end products -- we've long recommended the company's Snowball line of mics ...ZTE Spro 2 Smart Projector
Home theaters are becoming more and more accessible these days, but maybe you've been a bit wary about buying a home projector. And h ...MSI Geforce GTX 970 100ME
When Nvidia announced a new line of video cards in September 2014, many people thought things would continue to be business as usual i ...
10 Most Discussed
- Bad Apples: the worst Mac products ever - 42 replies
- MacNN Staffers: What made the Mac the choice for you? - 16 replies
- Swatch CEO outlines smartwatch plans, calls Apple Watch 'toy' - 14 replies
- Google advises developers on how to weaken iOS 9 app security - 10 replies
- T-Mobile cracking down on extreme bandwidth users of its LTE network - 10 replies
- Hands On: Griffin Powermate Bluetooth - 9 replies
- Hands On: AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning to USB Cable - 9 replies
- Continued iTunes library testing: all is still not well, but improving - 9 replies
- Appeals court opens door to FTC oversight of corporate cyber security - 6 replies