Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
PDF explains Mac OS X kernel at high level
Joel Reed notes an excellent Kernel Environment PDF provided by Apple that provides "fundamental high-level information about the Mac OS X core operating-system architecture," concentrating on "those areas where Mac OS X system architecture differs from other, similar operating systems."
Utility for checking DIMMs for Apple spec
Glenn Anderson has released DIMMCheck 1.04, which checks for non-Apple spec RAM, helping users identify which types of RAM will be affected (and not recognized) after Apple's recent firmware updates. One reader reports that the author is circulating a (yet) unpublicized fix for firmware update as well.
FontShowcase 3.1 adds font families feature
FontShowcase 3.1 is a new version of the font viewing software from Nexus.net, adding a font families feature, filtering options for viewing, and a "favorites" features.
Kerbango to close doors
Several readers note that 3Com has announced plans to shut down Kerbango, its Internet radio/MP3 streaming service. Both iTunes and SoundJam rely on Kerbango for their respective radio features; its unknown what will happen to these features once Kerbango closes its doors.
IconCleaner comes to OS X
IconCleaner 1.0, now available for OS X, is a utility for removing all custom icons of files and applications within a specified folder.
The Free Memory Show receives minor update
The Free Memory Show 2.2 is a new version of the utility for displaying how much RAM is available to your system. The utility can also notify when RAM drops below a specified level, and can also quit application to help defrayment RAM.
For all of the high-priced, over-engineered Bluetooth speakers in the electronics market, there is still room for mass-market solution ...VisionTek 128GB USB Pocket SSD
USB flash drives dealt the death blow to both the floppy and Zip drives. While still faster than either of the old removable media, sp ...Kodak PixPro SL10 Smart Lens Camera
Smartphone imagery still widely varies. Large Megapixel counts don't make for a good image, and the optics in some devices are lackin ...
10 Most Discussed
- Breaking: US reverses, to say North Korea behind Sony hack tomorrow - 17 replies
- DiskWarrior 5 debuts, offers full 64-bit support, flash drive option - 9 replies
- Sony ignored security evaluation before GOP hack, more data coming - 8 replies
- German Chancellor speaks out against net neutrality, wants fast lanes - 8 replies
- Jackson meets with Cook on diversity in the tech industry - 8 replies
- Apple's Cook, Williams 'deeply offended' by BBC supply chain expose - 7 replies
- Review: Apple iMac with 5K Retina display - 7 replies
- FCC overrules carriers, defines 'broadband' as 10Mbps minimum - 7 replies
- Tim Cook selected as finalist for 2014 Time Person of the Year - 6 replies
- Apple, Amazon refuse to disclose federal diversity data - 6 replies