Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
PDF explains Mac OS X kernel at high level
Joel Reed notes an excellent Kernel Environment PDF provided by Apple that provides "fundamental high-level information about the Mac OS X core operating-system architecture," concentrating on "those areas where Mac OS X system architecture differs from other, similar operating systems."
Utility for checking DIMMs for Apple spec
Glenn Anderson has released DIMMCheck 1.04, which checks for non-Apple spec RAM, helping users identify which types of RAM will be affected (and not recognized) after Apple's recent firmware updates. One reader reports that the author is circulating a (yet) unpublicized fix for firmware update as well.
FontShowcase 3.1 adds font families feature
FontShowcase 3.1 is a new version of the font viewing software from Nexus.net, adding a font families feature, filtering options for viewing, and a "favorites" features.
Kerbango to close doors
Several readers note that 3Com has announced plans to shut down Kerbango, its Internet radio/MP3 streaming service. Both iTunes and SoundJam rely on Kerbango for their respective radio features; its unknown what will happen to these features once Kerbango closes its doors.
IconCleaner comes to OS X
IconCleaner 1.0, now available for OS X, is a utility for removing all custom icons of files and applications within a specified folder.
The Free Memory Show receives minor update
The Free Memory Show 2.2 is a new version of the utility for displaying how much RAM is available to your system. The utility can also notify when RAM drops below a specified level, and can also quit application to help defrayment RAM.
Connect with Us
Follow us on Facebook
Ultimate Ears (now owned by Logitech) has found great success in the marketplace with its "Boom" series of Bluetooth speakers, a mod ...Kinivo URBN Premium Bluetooth Headphones
We love music, and we're willing to bet that you do, too. If you're like us, you probably spend a good portion of your time wearing ...Jamstik+ MIDI Controller
For a long time the MIDI world has been dominated by keyboard-inspired controllers. Times are changing however, and we are slowly star ...
10 Most Discussed
- Opinion: Should Apple release a desktop computer that runs iOS? - 44 replies
- Opinion: Things about the iPad Pro that are evading people - 25 replies
- Editorial: Five reasons to move to Windows - 23 replies
- Teardown of Apple Pencil reveals it is utterly unrepairable by users - 17 replies
- Cook insists converged iPad, Mac product not coming soon - 15 replies
- Quicken 2016 for Mac arrives in tandem with Windows version - 9 replies
- Analysis: A tale of two companies - 9 replies
- MacNN: Five reasons to switch to Mac - 8 replies
- MacUpdate tests changes in face of challenging specialist market - 6 replies
- Gartner: Apple rises, Samsung drops in worldwide phone share - 6 replies