Choose an article from the archive listing on this page or refine your selection using the controls in the gray box below.
Reunion Planning utility gets updated
Minutiae Software's $60 reunion planning and organizing application, Reunion Planner 4.8.7, includes separate, expanded Budget Module and projected estimates, expanded Events capabilities and new Ticket Sales tracking.
Canon PowerShort Pro90 IS offers 10x zoom
The PowerShot Pro90 IS digital camera is Canon's first digital camera to incorporate a built-in 10x zoom lens with optical Image Stabilization. The 3.34 megapixel CCD, offers movie recording (NTSC/PAL) and playback with audio, compatibility with Type I and II CompactFlash memory cards (including IBM microdrives, a wireless remote controller and either USB or an optional RS-232C serial interface interface. It is due this month for $1,300.
Belkin introduces 6-port FireWire hub
Belkin today introduced its "stylish" FireWire 6-Port hub (F5U526), which is expected to ship in March for $100: "The FireWire hub surpasses conventional hubs by allowing you to connect other Belkin FireWire devices, including additional hubs, hard disk drives and other devices using its unique docking ring feature."
New Internet browser for Mac due at MWSF
The wKiosk company is expected to announce a new Mac Internet browser next week at MWSF. Based on the Netscape's Gecko engine, the browser is designed for use in secure Internet kiosks in public areas and will offer limited URL browsing as well as full screen-only browsing. Both French and English versions as well as a Mac OS X version will be available.
Private Eye 1.01 hides, protects files
MoonBeam's $15 shareware Private Eye 1.0.1 is an update to its privacy utility that protects your files and folders instantly "using clever hiding techniques and password protection."
Three new carrying cases for Apple portables
JAM yesterday introduced three new cases for Apple portables: MacPack, a padded backpack for the iBook that is available in two sizes as well as in each of the iBook flavors; MacCase for PowerBooks, a handheld/shoulder case designed to minimize bulk while maximizing protection, mimics the a PowerBook's matte-stain finish and has both interior and exterior pockets for accessories; and JAM-Pack, which offers either handheld, shoulder or backpack modes.
SuperDisk issues; Imation products at CES
Following a MacNN reader note last October about the future of Imation's SuperDisk drives and a recent note about its discontinuation and product availability (added to the end of the thread), Imation yesterday announced and showcased several new and updated products at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, including a new USB floppy drive, although the rumored half-height SuperDisk model, possibly marketed by Panasonic has not yet been announced:
- Imation DataPlay digital media, a miniature optical media the size of a quarter that designed to let users download and record 500MB of digital content and play it back on any DataPlay-enabled device. It will also showcase Imation DiscGO!, a USB-based portable, self-hosted DataPlay device compatible with multiple memory card formats and Imation DataPlay digital media. Both are expected to ship in the third quarter of 2001.
- Imation CD Burn-R 16X10X40 and the Imation CD Burn-R 12X10X32 are internal, IDE-based mechanisms that offer Burn Proof Technology to prevent Buffer Under Run Errors and are bundled with Adaptec software.
- Imation USB Floppy Drive, which provides portable floppy compatibility to users of 1.44MB disks. The USB-powered drive, weighing only 0.68 pounds, requires no additional power cord and comes with eleven customizable colored faceplate covers.
Apple iDisks updated with new software
Several readers are noting that Apple has updated (some of) its user iDisks, offering a new folders and software for both Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X (note the absence of 'public beta' in all documentation) and suggesting that Apple has plans to use its iTools as a software distribution network: "The Apple software folder just has an image of Disk Copy 6.3.3, but the OSX folder has a ton of stuff [including games, utilities, and internet applications]." One reader has posted a screenshot as well as the complete contents of the included Read Me.
Olympus introduces 2 new digital cameras
Olympus yesterday introduced two new digital cameras, the Camedia C-3040 Zoom and the Camedia C-2040 Zoom, which both offer "the world's first" super bright F1.8 aperture digital zoom lens with an extended flash working range, a 3X zoom lense, and plug-and-play USB support without additional drivers. The $1000 C-3040 with an included 16MB SmartMedia card offers 3.34 megapixel resolution and is due in March, while the $700 C-2040 with 2-megapixel resolution and 8MB card is expected to ship later this month.
iOrganize 3.2 fixes bugs, Carbon beta online
Bruno Blondeau's iOrganize 3.2, a multipurpose organization tool with an advanced NotePad, an Address Book, and an Alias Manager, adds several enhancements and bug fixes to its three modules. A beta of the Carbon is also available online.
Roundup: Mac OS 9.1 GM, Illustrator 9.02
Yesterday we noted the Illustrator 9.02 update, GM release of Mac OS 9.1 (to ADC developers), Iomega's new Peerless drive system, Apple's corporate refocus, and dozens of new products expected at next week's Macworld Expo.
For every computer user, there comes a point of critical mass in data storage. When it hits, external hard drives, USB sticks and DVD ...iRig Pads
When it comes to mobile music products, IK Multimedia has positioned itself as one of the top suppliers. Right from the early days of ...DoxieGo Portable Scanner
Sometimes, people need to scan things, but having a computer at hand to do so isn't exactly feasible. Maybe it's the home of a relat ...
10 Most Discussed
- LA schools' iPad program flawed from beginning, federal report says - 28 replies
- MO lawmaker proposes requiring ID for Google Wallet, Apple Pay sales - 18 replies
- Illinois law mandates handover of students' social media passwords - 16 replies
- President Obama calls for overturning anti-municipal broadband laws - 16 replies
- Ahrendts' high pay in part to compensate for lost Burberry stock - 12 replies
- Obama sides with UK PM, calls for law enforcement-crackable encryption - 12 replies
- Windows 10 a free upgrade, not subscription, for Windows 7, 8.1 users - 11 replies
- Adobe updates Flash again due to critical security flaw - 9 replies
- Principal filming on Universal Jobs biopic now underway - 8 replies
- Follow-up: new anti-poaching lawsuit settlement offer $415 million - 7 replies